In October 1921 the first group of Truth students gathered to become what is now known as Unity Center in Milwaukee (UCIM).
The group received a Certificate of Incorporation (Milwaukee County Courthouse, Articles, Volume 63, page 427) on June 7, 1927, as “First Unity Center of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.”
In 1950 the name was changed to Unity Church of Christianity and in 1995 to Unity Church in Milwaukee. The name was again changed in 2017 to Unity Center in Milwaukee to go back to the original purpose of Unity gatherings which were never intended to be churches but rather centers for all areas of spiritual growth.
The church first met at the Commerce Building on Fourth and Wells Streets in Milwaukee and then moved to the Pabst Mansion on West Highland Avenue. In 1939 they moved to the Banker’s Building. In 1949 the congregation purchased a funeral home on North Avenue where they stayed until 1973.
In 1972, they purchased the former West Suburban YMCA building at 1717 N. 73rd Street on the northwest corner of 73rd Street and Milwaukee Avenue in Wauwatosa. After nearly a year of modifications including renovating a meeting hall to the current sanctuary and remodeling other rooms, the building on 73rd Street was dedicated on October 21, 1973. This is the present home of the spiritual center.